Following on from my post about the nursing chair, we collected the 5m of lovely velvety grey fabric that I bought from eBay (finally, a purchase that’s gone right!), and it came in a huge roll that seems a bit overwhelming!
The books from the library were useless. Well, that’s a bit unfair – they were useless for my purposes. Lots of talk about hammers and ripping stuff up. I’m just re-covering cushions, so I’ve returned the books and I’m just muddling through.
I’ve decided not to repaint the chair’s frame right now, because the weather is appalling and we’d never get it done outside at the moment. Nor do I particularly want to be breathing in noxious fumes inside! We can always do that later if the mood strikes us – it would definitely look brilliant in white.
I started by cutting a piece of fabric bigger than the size of the cushion I was covering, big enough to go up the sides as well. Using Charlie’s sewing machine, I stitched it inside out on three sides, stabbing myself repeatedly with pins. Quite literally, there’s been my blood, sweat and tears over these cushions.
I then cut away the excess fabric around where I’d sewn and turned the cover the right way around.
Because the sewing machine isn’t an upholstery one, try as I might, I could not for the life of me get it to stitch the fourth side because the cushion was too thick for it to get anywhere near the needle. I ended up stitching velcro to each side of the join (having taken the cushion out again, harder than it sounds), and velcroing it shut.
I then made two tabs for the back, to attach it to the chair frame, again with velcro on, and again, much harder than I just made that sound (it took about five attempts to get it right). Et voilà!