Wow, this nursing chair has taken a while to complete. I was given it in late 2012, and spent much time the week before I gave birth in February 2013 on my friend’s sewing machine, reupholstering it with grey fabric – you can follow its progress here, and see it with the matching footstool here.
Here are a couple of photos… how the pair started out, and how they’ve looked from early ’13 until now.
When I visited B&Q to get some Rust-Oleum paint for our bed, I also grabbed a miniature white can for the chair, completely misjudging how much I would need to paint all of those spindles and the complicated rocking mechanisms on both.
This took much longer than my bed to paint, took a few coats and lots of flipping the chair around and waiting for it to dry. There was also so much surface area that I was constantly seeing little bits I hadn’t covered properly, but got most of it in the end. I painted this in our spare room (so excuse the mess in the photo), but I was much more aware of the splash zone with this one and didn’t get any paint on the carpet. So, better than the bed effort.
I ended up returning to B&Q to buy another two of the smaller pots (I should have just bought one big one to start with), and I used it all. The Rust-Oleum furniture wax that I applied at the end appeared to make absolutely no difference. When I applied it to the blue bed, it altered the colour slightly and you could see where it had been applied. Not so with the white – absolutely no idea where I covered, to be honest. I kept on though, because it’s supposed to protect the paint layer.
But, finally, it’s done! I’m very pleased with this result. It’s been a long time coming!